Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thrift Store Gold

Jacket: Grey Antics
Top: Zucca
Bottoms: American Apparel
Shoes: Doc Martens

This particular day it was pouring rain and I needed to get out of the house before I went stir crazy! What better way to fight the rain than by thrift store shopping? I have a few favorites I like to hit up, but Save-Mor Thrift is the best for finding really cool old books...


I found this gem of a book (for only $1!) completely dedicated to how awesome Los Angeles is from a 1973 perspective. It has so many pictures and interesting information that only makes me fall more in love with this beautiful city.



This pic is called "Desert Wildflower Extravaganza -- a link with the past." They had me at extravaganza.

This pic is of the commuters along Harbor Freeway past the first of the Bunker Hill skyscrapers on their way home from work. The number of people commuting that 40-50 mile drive to and from work everyday has clearly exploded since this picture was taken considering the cars are going fast enough to create these "Streamers of Light."


The book gives a pretty extensive history lesson of the city (so you know I'm pumped!) including this picture from Los Angeles' gilded age. This is the Bradbury Building designed in 1893 by George H. Wyman.

I LOVE THIS HOUSE! This is a 1959 house by Pierre Kownig built on a cliff in Los Angeles. A house like this is my motivation to do well in school and get a high paying job so I can afford living in this paradise.


I'm still dying to go visit this monument in Pasadena and will hopefully do so in the next couple of weeks. This is the prototype of the California bungalow by architects Charles and Henry Greene and was turned into a monument because of how popular this style of home became throughout California -- and beyond. I will definitely be sharing pictures of the real thing when I go!

The burbs! This section of the book goes over the problems and pleasures of living on a hillside. The picture is supposed to be one of the premiere neighborhoods in the hill ridden Sherman Oaks. It's prestige is characterized by the swimming pools.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment